FAQ & Studio Etiquette
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, mat and towel combos are available to rent as a pair for $5. We also offer long-term storage of personal mats for 6 or 12 month periods.
You need to have a body to practice yoga. That’s all; there is no strength or flexibility requirement. All bodies are built differently and our teachers are trained to work with different body types + shapes, and cater to different needs. Our work is built upon opening students up from the inside out. If you are new to Lighthouse you might notice that many of our students have advanced practices. This comes from years of work, and should not dissuade you from attending class with us. We are a welcoming and supportive community that believes the key to good practice is an open mind, heart, and willingness to try.
As often as you want, but we recommend at least 3 times per week. Consider limiting physical practice to 6 times per week so that your body can rest. Meditation, however can be practiced daily, if possible.
Depends. If you choose to come take class with an injury, let your teacher know and remember to take it easy and modify poses if you need to. Healing is a process that cannot be rushed, and while yoga has been shown to help ease chronic pain, more acute injuries may require some time off to rest.
We recommend comfortable, lightweight clothing, and fabrics that can withstand sweat. Any attire is permitted— though many students prefer more fitted clothing like leggings, bike shorts, and sports bra/tops because loose clothing can make some postures more challenging.
We rent mats and yoga towels for $5 per class. Blocks, straps and yoga blankets are available free of charge.
In an effort to minimize plastic waste, we do not sell bottled water. Please bring a reusable water bottle with you if you need water– we have a filtered water fountain.
We have two all-gender bathrooms, changing rooms, and a garden in the back where students and teachers frequently hang out.
We have only one shower in the studio, so we encourage guests to take showers at home. We do supply towels for the shower so if you do need to use it, please bring your own towel, or rent a yoga towel.
You can check our schedule and register for classes through the MindBody App. Download it here. We love it when students register in advance! If you are unable to, don’t worry, just show up for class and we’ll help you get started. Please note that if you register for a class and decide not to attend, you must cancel your booking at least an hour before class begins. Any no shows or late cancellations will be deducted from your account.
- If it is your first day of practice, please arrive 15 minutes early— 20 minutes early on weekends — so that we can help you register. This also gives our teachers time to meet you.
- Arrive on time. Studio doors are locked at the beginning of class. Late comers will be admitted ONLY at the teacher’s discretion.
- Take your shoes off when you come in and place them neatly on the shoe rack by the front door. Shoes are not allowed in the studio.
- Please leave your bags in the cubby closet on the first floor or in the changing areas downstairs. Please bring winter coats to hang on the rack downstairs. Do not leave your items by the front door next to your shoes.
- Turn off or silence your cell phone/apple watch/ etc. during practice. Refrain from using your phone during class.
- Help us keep the studio clean. If you sweat around your mat, please use the white hand towels to wipe up the sweat. There are trash and recycling bins upstairs, please recycle all paper, plastic, glass and aluminum products.
- Come to class clean (wear deoderent if needed) and refrain from wearing any heavy perfumes or scents.
- Please use the mat spray provided to clean your yoga mat or your rental mat when class is over. If your mat smells, we may ask you to use a rental mat.
- If you need to leave early, please let the teacher know before class starts.
- Please follow any requests or instructions from your teacher– if you have any questions, concerns, or injuries please let your teacher know before class.
- Refrain from unnecessary talking during class. We welcome questions during class if it is related to your practice.
- Refrain from eating at least 2-3 hours before your practice. Drink plenty of water after your practice.
- The studio closes 30 minutes after each class finishes. Please be courteous to our staff, who need to clean and prepare the studio for our next class.
- If you have studio-related inquiries or questions that can’t be addressed with your teacher or check-in staff, please speak to a studio manager (see who is who here) or contact us at email@example.com.